| This article has been evaluated to be at quality level 5.|
This article may seem complete to the untrained eye, but the gaps in information are still large enough for this elite team of Panauan Ninjas to hide inside of.
|Army of Chaos|
Mira mentions the Army of Chaos in the Story trailer. This is a cut-scene from the mission Operation Whiteout. Note that these rebels never appear in-game.
|Faction in Just Cause 4|
|Goal, or purpose||Overthrow Oscar Espinosa's rule in Solís.|
Fight off the Black Hand.
Assist Rico in taking down The Agency (after Oscar Espinosa is dead).
|Leader||Rico and Mira Morales|
|Starting base, or HQ||El Abismo|
|Source of money||Popular support of the people|
The Army of Chaos is a faction in Just Cause 4.
This faction is founded after Rico helps defend El Abismo from the Black Hand. The founding members are the population of El Abismo. They were already dissidents and considered outlaws by the government.
The Solino Civil War starts when this faction is formed.
Instead of liberating all military installations and towns in a region (as would have been the case in previous games in the series), completing missions in the Sargento line will unlock additional options to advance the army. The army can normally advance along the front when the player has caused enough chaos to have unlocked enough "squads" to command the army to advance.
The number 43 seems to have some significance to the organization as all their fighter and bomber jets are marked with this on their tail.
Members are normally gained by accepting volunteers from civilians. Santiago from the Solís Hoy radio even mentions that there's a number of people who are disgruntled and have things to complain about, who might feel that this is their best option.
- Rico Rodriguez - Leader.
- Mira Morales - Seems to be second in command, but in The Illapa Project some intel was mentioned to be for her eyes only. You can also find her during free roam at Prospero Astillero and Ojo De La Pradera.
- Luis - Also called "Sargento". He sets up the objectives (missions) for the Army/Rico and seems to be the third in command.
- Izzy - Hacker who monitors Black Hand communications and aids the Army/Rico in some missions.
- Supply drop pilots:
- Tom Sheldon - Rico's former mentor. He also doubles as a pilot, adviser, and machine gunner.
- César - Conspiracy theorist and pilot.
- Lanza Morales - A scientist who happens to be the uncle of Mira and the father of Gabriela.
- Several more unnamed hackers are met during Sargento missions.
- A large number of unnamed soldiers and pilots.
- At the end of the mission Operation Illapa, some Black Hand members defect. This is later confirmed by the Solís Hoy radio that mentions that the defected members are fighting alongside the Army of Chaos.
- There are a number of Army of Chaos models in cut scenes wearing not yet military grade, but still functional equipment (riot gear, tactical vests) that look much cooler than the ones seen in-game. Unfortunately, these seem to be unable to be seen again after the game is completed.
Rico commonly says "They're holding their own." near the frontline.
The Army of Chaos soldiers are generally much weaker than their counterpart, the Black Hand. As oppose to the well-equipped, heavily-armed and well-trained Black Hand, the Army of Chaos consists of civilian volunteers with comparably very poor equipment. While idle, some Army of Chaos soldiers will comment that they had never fired a weapon before the Civil War happened but they are willing to use their guts and tenacity to even out with the Black Hand. In an even fight, the Army of Chaos soldiers will almost always lose to the Black Hand as their opponents are better armored, can shoot their weapons more accurately, move more tactically, throw grenades faster and have more special archetypes that can make short work of the Army. To make up for their lack of training, the Army of Chaos can overwhelm their opponents through sheer number, versatility and unpredictability. In CQC situations, the Army of Chaos is seemingly able to handle the Black Hand much easier (but they still don't stand much of a chance of winning) since they can freely spray their guns and still be able to hit their opponents. Soldiers from the Army can also takes out their opponents quickly by using grenades. Funny enough, the Army of Chaos rebels had their accuracy increased when they are firing from cover, ignoring the fact that they almost always blind firing them instead of taking proper aims like the Black Hand soldiers do.
As for RPG operators and snipers, they seem to perform the exact same as their Black Hand counterparts, and when using vehicles they are identical. There are unique Army of Chaos soldiers at some locations that use standard Black Hand weapons rather than the Army of Chaos counterparts (See the "Weapons" section below) but they don't seem to be particularly skilled compared to the standard soldiers, but they may actually have better performance.
Like the Black Hand, Army of Chaos soldiers will prioritize the use of mounted weapons if they are close to one. Through the use of miniguns, mortars, rail guns and AA guns, the Army can reliably take down any soldiers without much problems.
Army of Chaos soldiers, for some reason, are able to shoot through the armor of Super Elite soldiers. While Rico has to aim specifically for their heads to do any damage (unless using explosives), the Army soldiers can simply fire directly at any parts of their bodies and still be able to hurt them. An Army of Chaos soldier with the use of a minigun can rip through a squad of Super Elites with seemingly no difficulty unless the soldier is killed by a grenade.
Overall, they are only helpful when in vehicles like helicopters, tanks and planes. They are particularly helpful in planes since they will take care of Black Hand fighters and bombers for you, or at least keep them occupied, while it can be annoying to deal with planes for the player. Unless they have extreme numerical superiority, Army of Chaos infantry is only good for destractions against the Black Hand, and only for a while too. Almost always, all the Army of Chaos rebels will get defeated in just a few seconds to minutes at most.
Random battles in the countryside when the whole map is taken over are different. Then they normally initially spawn in about even numbers with the Black Hand, but they normally eventually win by getting more frequent reinforcements and by the game simply not sending any more Black Hand. In these random battles it normally looks like the Black Hand should easily be able to win with the aid of an armored vehicle, but the vehicle (if any) is normally used somewhat conservatively and the Army of Chaos eventually destroy it by throwing many hand grenades at it. However, if RIco gains a high heat, despite being in friendly territory the game will start spawning lots of Black Hand powerful enough to easily overwhelm all Army of Chaos soldiers in their way. With a high enough heat, Rico can lead a convoy of Black Hand spawned in due to heat into a friendly Army of Chaos base and completely kill all Army of Chaos soldiers and effectively occupy the base. However, once Rico gets far away enough the game renders the base' details out, and all Black Hand presence there will disappear.
In the absence of SAMs (such as at small outposts) they have little defense against helicopters or jets and are easily decimated. Usually, their only defense is a random Army of Chaos chopper showing up.
- Pugilista SUV - This seems to be their own unique vehicle.
- Cavalry Armored Truck.
- Warrior Offroader - MV-type off-road car.
- Warchief Assault Tank - Usual tank.
- Prizefighter Tank - Medium tank that in reality would be an IFV.
- Próspero Hauler - 8x8 flatbed truck.
- Firebrand Scout Chopper - light attack helicopter.
- Próspero Sky Crane - transporter helicopter.
- Dropzone Chopper - can either carry two snipers, or four soldiers who rappel down.
- Spectre Attack Helicopter - Medium attack helicopter.
- Bloodhound Siege Heli - Big attack helicopter with a double main propeller.
- Fellhawk Jet Fighter - jet fighter with quadruple missiles.
- Thunderhead Bomber Jet - jet fighter as a bomber role.
- Several Trains.
- Cargo trains.
- Sandstinger (used in missions).
- Snowstinger (used in missions).
- Random unnamed armored trains.
- Armadillo Crane Truck (used in missions).
Eventually, they end up taking over and capturing all Black Hand bases, but the above listed vehicles are seen in use in missions and the front.
They have some weapons that appear to be their counterparts to some Black Hand weapons, although some members still use captured Black Hand weaponry. Their own weapons are generally weaker than those of the Black Hand, due to Army weapons' lack of secondary fire and somewhat worse performance. These are all brightly colored and can be easily distinguished from Black Hand weaponry. Along with that a lot of these weapons actually look like weapons from Just Cause 3.
- Anti-Tanque 1 RPG. After game completion, these can only be found at Prospero Balística.
- Bárbaro Machine Gun.
- Cazador 18 Shotgun.
- SW2 Rodelero Rifle.
- Zopilote Sniper Rifle. After game completion, these can no longer be found.
- Grenades are used by any Army of Chaos soldiers besides ones with RPGs. Very rarely Army of Chaos snipers will toss flash bangs at the enemy.
Unusually, the Army of Chaos use Black Hand weaponry at certain bases including Prospero Torretas, Campo Infierno, Base Aérea Yanacagua. This can be explained by using captured weaponry, as history has shown throughout time.
- AT7 RPG. These are often used by soldiers in guard towers.
- LRD-3 Sniper. These are used from Dropzone Choppers and often guard towers while patrolling specific bases.
- SW9 Assault Rifle. They use them at Prospero Torretas and strangely SkyCastle Cargo Jet pilots use these. Tank drivers at Prospero Tanques also use these.
- 21-J Smart-Rifle. The same thing as SW9, except these are not used on cargo planes.
- SMG-2. These are used as a close-range primary weapon by Army of Chaos soldiers at Prospero Torretas and Prospero Tanques, and as a secondary weapon by those soldiers who are armed with LRD-3 Snipers and AT7 RPGs. Mira is also armed with this at Prospero Astillero, Ojo de la Jungla, and her other free roam spawn points.
- CC10 Shotgun. Same as the 21-J.
- AT3-X RPGs are found on soldiers in a Sargento side-mission. He himself also uses one in Beachhead. Since they are only found in sidemissions, they are unavailable in free roam or when the game is beaten.
- PGL-6 Grenade Launchers can be seen in use by an Army of Chaos soldier in Windwalker: Diversion. It can also very rarely be found in free roam, but its specific locations remain unconfirmed.
- Chaos has always been one of the keywords associated with the Just Cause game series, so the name is quite fitting. Chaos points have been used in previous games to measure game progress among a few other examples.
- Their vehicles (brightly colored) have been seen in multiple trailers before, but their name was announced in the below "20 minutes live gameplay presentation" video.
- Unlike Just Cause 3's factions, random unnamed soldiers can be seen with special armor in cutscenes, making them unable to be seen again if the game is beaten. Some may consider this to be disappointing.