|quality level 5.|
This article may seem complete to the untrained eye, but the gaps in information are still large enough for this elite team of Panauan Ninjas to hide inside of.
Insula Lacrima is the smallest of Medici's land-based regions and the second smallest region overall. It consists of a group of islands in the shape of a seal that were previously the property of the eDEN Corporation. In the past, the Black Hand struck a deal with eDEN and took some of the islands for themselves. In exchange, eDEN was provided with a small battalion of Black Hand mercenaries to provide security on their airship. Later as the eDEN Corporation completely disappeared, the Black Hand took over the entire region and started looting technology.
The islands are formally introduced to the game in Stowaway, the first mission of the Mech Land Assault. Under Black Hand ownership, the region has become home to a number of detention centers, weapons depots and abandoned eDEN research facilities.
Before the mission Stowaway has been completed, the player may see a blue beam of light somewhere on the islands, aimed towards the sky. If Rico attempts to reach Lacrima in any way prior to the completion of said mission, an anonymous voice (presumably the Black Hand) will radio to inform him that the gravitational repulsion field will not be deactivated without authorization. An invisible force will then turn Rico (or the vehicle that he's in) a full 180 degrees away from the islands.
There is also a glitch where the blue beam of light will continue to stay even after the mission has been completed. This allows closer examination of the beam. However, the beam will fade into nothing if you get to close to it, so it's impossible to pinpoint the exact location of the beam. See the gallery for images.
History and culture
The oldest settlement on the islands is a set of ruins located on a small lake island. Near that island is a cave/natural tunnel that leads to more ruins inland.
Almost nothing is known about the region's history between the ancient era and Di Ravello's rule. The Eden Callaghan tapes reveal that on October 13th, 1990, President Dante of Medici arranged a meeting with the CEO of the eDEN Corporation, Eden Callaghan. During the meeting, Dante explained that he was interested in supporting advanced research on the application of Bavarium. He showed several samples of the ore to Ms. Callaghan and offered to form a partnership with her company. On March 16th, 1992, as part of the deal made with Dante, eDEN was permitted to lease Insula Lacrima for its own personal use. Even after Di Ravello seized power, the company was permitted to continue leasing Lacrima so long as it acknowledged and recognized the new government of Medici.
Until going out of business, the eDEN Corporation used Lacrima primarily for conducting research and testing its drone and A.I. programs. The company also struck a deal with the Black Hand and permitted the mercenary group to establish a small presence on the islands. Once eDEN disappeared (via genocidal A.I. that killed everyone on Lacrima and the EDEN Airship), the islands were completely taken over by the Black Hand who looted the company's assets (drones, mechs, advanced technology, and weapons) for their own gain. However, there are also abandoned eDEN stations that are guarded by old eDEN drones that are still programmed to attack any intruders on sight, including the Black Hand.
Both factions have left their mark here, a blend of artificial and natural scenery bursting with overgrowth.
- This is the first unapproachable place in the whole Just Cause game series, before the mission Stowaway. Other places, such as Falco Maxime: Centcom and Hantu Island (in JC2), are just difficult to approach.
- This is the only land-based region to not have an FOW-protected central command, civilian settlements, or any trace of the Medici Military because the land is privately-owned.
- However, there is a broken Centcom Tower in the Weapons Shipment Yard. Its purpose there is unknown, but it could be that the Weapons Shipment Yard may have once been the regional HQ for the Medici Military before it pulled out in 1992. This remains speculation.
- There are also still some Medici Military Stria Obrero wrecks around Lacrima, including one outside the Prisoner Processing Center. It's unknown why they are here, although they could be remnants of when Di Ravello's Medici Military pulled out.
- The nature of the region and everything that goes on there is kept under tight wraps by the Black Hand. So secretive are the group's operations that even Tom Sheldon claims to have never heard of the Lacrima islands when Rico Rodriguez first mentions them to him.
- One of the old eDEN bases here is responsible for communications jamming to help keep the area a secret.
- The region is always surrounded by a strange yellow mist which is easiest to notice in daylight.
- Depending on the context, "Lacrima" can mean "crying" or "tear" in Latin.
- Every part of these islands is a restricted area (until after Storming the Hive anyway) because even if you don't commit crimes you will get heat level 1 when you are spotted.
- The Bavarium Sea Heist DLC reveals that Lacrima was once classified as one of the 3 components of the "eDEN Network"; the other two being the eDEN Airship and Stingray. The network served as the cornerstone for the majority of the eDEN Corporation's scientific research (energy sources, artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, aeronautics, robotics, weather studies, advancements for mankind, and bavarium).
- There is a long and wide runway on the south-eastern island. Near it is a mountain, and inside the mountain is a hangar that holds 3 helicopters. Each one can be either CS Navajos or Urga Postolkas. All of them are the Black Hand version, and while they are destructible and able to be moved, you are not able to fly them, because they're locked. Destroying them will grant you points for destroying an enemy helicopter.
- Inside the before mentioned hanger there is also a U41 Ptakojester cargo plane with its cargo door open. This one is actually a stationary Black Hand version, and it is also incapable of being destroyed, moved or flown. While this U41 is inside the Hangar, testing has proven that the bay doors are too close together and the hanger itself is actually far too narrow to enter with a U41 Ptakojester. The plane would be forcibly stopped/damaged/destroyed by the narrow doors and low mountainside overhead.
- The runway near the hanger is very useful for taking off and landing the U41 Ptakojester, as it is one of the widest and longest runways in the game. Note that even after liberation of the entire island there will still be satellite dishes, 2 unhacked SAMs and 3 radio towers as well as a few electric boxes along the the runway. Therefore it is advised to blow them up/hack them before taking off.
- Until Just Cause 4's Los Demonios' various infestations on the mainland, this was the first place in the Just Cause game series to have a potentially three way conflict happening. In this case, all but one of the eDEN Stations have at least 1 suppression drone guarding against the Black Hand and Rico.
- Considering Just Cause 3's settlements with relatively creative names, some of the settlements here have relatively generic names, like Weapons Shipment Yard and Weapons Warehouse among others.
- If Rico gets a heat in the region, Black Hand will be dispatched, sending in Black Hand land vehicles in land and boats on the ocean. If he reaches Insula Lacrima and he is being chased by the Medici Military, they will stop spawning with the Black Hand taking over. Some Medici Military vehicle may despawn if this happen except for helicopters which can prove deadly as it may result in a drone and 4 helicopter (2 Black Hand helicopter and 2 Medici Military helicopter.) going after Rico. If Rico attempts to reach Lacrima before the mission Stowaway and the military are chasing him, the Black Hand won’t takeover.
Locations in Medici
Alvea (DLC) · Aspera · Baia · Capite Est · Capite West · Cauda · Corda Dracon · Costa Sud · eDEN Airship (DLC) · Falco · Feno · Grande Pastura · Lacos · Lavanda · Libeccio · Litore Torto · Maestrale · Massos · Montana · Nebio Nord (DLC) · Nebio Sud (DLC) · Novola (DLC) · Petra · Plagia · Prima · Prospere · Regno · Rocca Blau · Sirocco Nord · Sirocco Sud · Soros · Trio · Stingray Area (DLC) · Umbra · Val de Mar
Airports · Boom Island · Category:Just Cause 3 Locations · Churches in Medici · Cima Leon area · Highest point in Medici · List of ports in Medici · Military bases in Medici · Offshore rigs in Medici · Towns in Medici · Tunnels at eastern Insula Striate · Types of settlements in Medici · Volcano island in Medici · Large abandoned industrial buildings in Medici
Locations at Insula Lacrima
|Province: Nebio Nord|
|Province: Nebio Sud|