Just Cause 5 would be the fifth game in the Just Cause game series.
At this time Just Cause 4 is still not old and has had many updates (see Just Cause 4 Patch history and Downloadable content for Just Cause 4 for reference), some only months ago. Just Cause 5 has not been announced yet and there are no reliable hints to it being worked on. There is media that states that Just Cause 5 has been announced, but currently they are all either fake or speculations/wishlists.
It would take years for Avalanche Studios to make another big game and there's no way to be sure which game they'll decide to make next. For all we know, they might make several completely different games before coming back to this series, or they might even never come back to this series.
October 2019 job offering
In October 2019, it was noticed that Avalanche Studios is looking for developers to help create a multiplayer for their next AAA game. The job offer did not specify which game, but lists Mad Max, Just Cause 4 and Rage 2 as examples of the types of games they had in mind. The job offer also mentioned that the game will have the Apex engine.
September 2020 job offering
In September 2020, it was revealed by job offers that the Avalanche Studios Group New York division is being improved in preparation for their next development effort. It's not know what they are working on, but they are looking for a System Programmer, a Gameplay Animation Programmer and a Senior World Designer.
- "Avalanche Studios Group is looking for a System Programmer to join our ranks in creating the largest and greatest AAA project we’ve ever taken on." The page lists requirements for applicants that reveal that the game is meant for next generation consoles.
- "On this project we want to push animation quality a lot further than we have done previously and this will require us to take our animation technology to the bleeding edge."
- "As a Senior World Designer you plan, design, build and iterate the world with all its layers; world, biomes, landmarks, locations, roads and rivers. So that it connects and presents itself beautifully. This involves terrain sculpting, material painting, location building, road editing, placement of landmarks and locations."
- "Experience in sculpting high fidelity terrain (both geo and materials), believable roads and waterways; while also making those spaces a blast to play in."
Speculation about plot
- The end of JC4 (mission Operation Illapa) sets up The Agency as the new main enemy. Rico wants to go "take them down" and Tom Sheldon agrees to help him. They agree that having an army is a good start.
- The end of the Danger Rising DLC (mission Rogue Agent) expands this. Agent Maria Kane and her boss discuss their future plans. They stole Project Illapa technology and want to build it at a safer place. At the same time the player is shown a map of the United States where a big Agency logo appears over the north-eastern part of America.
Additional relevant info
An additional reason why the wiki needs this article is the way forum threads use existing articles as sort of categories. There are a few threads about Just Cause 5 and the future of the game series. Most notably:
- "Vehicles you'd like to see in the Just Cause games." - A very long vehicles wish list.
- "Tanks in future Just Cause games?".
- "The possibility of cheats in Just Cause 3, 4, 5".
- "What do you want to see in JC5?".
- "I want to talk about the new vehicles in just cause 4 and 5".
See also: Just Cause 5 Wishlist.