|San Esperito Police Department|
The San Esperito Police Department's primary logo. This picture is of a Meister ATV 4.
|Faction in Just Cause|
|Goal, or purpose||They are the official police of San Esperito|
|Leader||Velasco, later Carmona|
|Starting base, or HQ||Unknown|
|Source of money||Government budget|
The San Esperito Police Department, also known as the Policía is one of the armed groups in Just Cause (1).
Who they areEdit
- "Halt, citizen! This is the police." - One of their most memorable quotes.
The game never gives a civilian any Heat level, so if there's a traffic accident between a police car and a civilian car, both drivers will get out and perform the same standard upset hand gesture. However if Rico should happen to scratch a civilian vehicle near them, it can trigger Heat 1, meaning that they'll try to kill Rico, but call no reinforcements, so it's easy to get away.
If the policía feels that they can't stop you and you continue to break the law, then they'll call the San Esperito Military, who will take over for them - heat 4 and 5. Depending on how far you are in the storyline, you might also run into foreign security specialists, the Black Hand.
During the mission Good Cop, Bad Cop it's explained that the San Esperito Police Department is loyal to the government, though they are also corrput and can be bribed.
Until the events of that mission, the San Esperito Police Department is run by chief Velasco. After his death, the next chief of police is Carmona, who gets mutilated (and possibly also killed) at the end of the mission Dismissed Without Honors.
- SWAT, or riot police. It's not known if they have an official name. They show up at Heat 3 or 4 and drive the Meister ATV 4 trucks. They wear black uniforms with grey helmets.
- The San Esperito Coast Guard seems to also be a sub-division of the police.
According to Kane (during the mission Dismissed Without Honors), the "Secret Police headquarters" is located in Esperito City, in the same building as a Prison. The mission objective sentence (on screen) and Inmaculada both call it a prison, but it could be both.
Many rural villages have police stations. These stations are all identical cube-shaped buildings, painted in a combination of white and green. They don't have constant police presence and normally appear as completely usual houses.
It's possible to blow up the station buildings during Liberation sidemissions. To do that, you have to cause any explosion in the immediate vicinity of the building. The building explosion does not harm Rico. Destroyed buildings stay destroyed for the liberation only and briefly afterwards, and will otherwise appear standing . The explosion adds a negligible bonus to the liberation progress bar, the same way as drug and ammunition explosions during Cartel Villa takeover.
The San Esperito Police Department has many different vehicles:
- Apache Army Model 842 - A motorcycle. One of the most common police vehicles. Can spawn at all heat levels, or even none at all.
- Delta 5H4 Boxhead - A attack helicopter. Only seen in sidemissions and Good Cop, Bad Cop.
- Huerta Mesa - A 2-door SUV. Usually used in the countryside, but can also be seen in cities. Heat levels 1-5. However, it is possible to encounter one without heat.
- Huerta PA51 Aztek - Armed patrol helicopter. The most dangerous weapon in the police arsenal. Heat level 5 only.
- Meister ATV 4 - An armored-looking truck. Used during higher levels of Heat, just before the San Esperito Military is called in. Heat level 4 and 5.
- MV - A large armored-looking SUV. A unique police version appears near the end of the mission Dismissed Without Honors. It also appears in a side-mission for the Guerrillas.
- Pequod - Harpoon PC 350 - Armed patrol ship in the mission Good Cop, Bad Cop.
- Triton - G3 Taiphoon - Patrol boat which constantly patrols the waters around the El Grande Fort.
- Vaultier ALEV Patrol Special - A van. Used rarely. Heat level 4 and 5.
- Vaultier Sedan Patrol Compact - The standard 4-door police car. Heat level 3, 4 and 5. However, it is possible to encounter one without heat around towns and cities.
The San Esperito Police Department uses relatively few different weapons:
- Harker 357 Sawback. Very common and used by almost every normal police officer who's seen either walking, or driving an Apache Army Model 842, or Huerta Mesa.
- Moretti CCW Praetorian. Used by some police officers in Liberations and during low to medium Heat levels.
- Aviv Panthera. Used by the SWAT.
- Aviv Scarab. Used by the SWAT.
- Moretti P.94. Used by the SWAT.
- Nova 9. Used by the SWAT in the mission Broadcast News when you have to defend the San Esperito Broadcast Center.
- "Halt, citizen! This is the police."
- "Halt, citizen!"
- "Freeze, citizen! This is the police."
- "Freeze, citizen!"
- "Alto! Alto!"
- Just Cause 2 was also originally supposed to have a police department, but it was cancelled for unknown reasons. For more info see: Panau Police Department and Cut game content from Just Cause 2.
- Guerrilla sidemissions often feature vehicles with police markings that aren't actually used by the police department, such as the Ballard M5B1 Scout, or the Jackson Z-19 Skreemer.
- There are a few police departments in real life with similar two-tone blue paintjobs. Examples include:
- The Massachusetts State Police, the police department for the entire state of Massachusetts in the United States,
- The Anne Arundel County Police Department, the police service for Anne Arundel County, Maryland, in the United States,
- The Argentine Federal Police, the national police department for the nation of Argentina.
- An interesting question would be how Velasco obtained the La Honradez, as the cost for an entire yacht would be enourmous to the extent, he either got it before he was even the police chief, or he was extremely corrupt and so is able to obtain it while being the active police chief.
- The San Esperito Police Department's secondary logo appears on only three vehicles: the Pequod - Harpoon PC 350, the Delta 5H4 Boxhead, and the Huerta PA51 Aztek.
- The San Esperito Police Department's tertiary logo appears on the same three vehicles only: the Pequod - Harpoon PC 350, the Delta 5H4 Boxhead, and the Huerta PA51 Aztek.
- On the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game, police officers can start randomly shooting at civilians.
Vehicles exclusive to Missions or SidemissionsEdit