By policy, long talk pages get archived. See the archives for any previous discussions on this page: Archive 1; Archive 2; Archive 3; Archive 4; Archive 5; Archive 6; Archive 7; Archive 8; Archive 9; Archive 10; Archive 11; Archive 12; Archive 13; Archive 14; Archive 15; Archive 16; Archive 17; Archive 18; Archive 19; Archive 20; Archive 21; Archive 22; Archive 23; Archive 24 and Archive 25.
- 1 Vandalism
- 2 Suggestion to help with the vandal issue
- 3 Panau traffic flow
- 4 Your signature
- 5 Fuck Recaptcha
- 6 Some question
- 7 Help settle this
- 8 Heh
- 9 Time to come back
- 10 Busy... but I'll be back
- 11 The meaning of your name
- 12 Wow
- 13 Need your help with this one...
- 14 Leaving again
- 15 Hey
- 16 About the Just Cause 5 article
- 17 Fandom Desktop
- 18 Any ideas?
- 19 Gunplay mechanics in Just Cause
- 20 New fandom logo...
- 21 Notice
- 22 Something's wrong
- 23 81 images in 4 days
- 24 Forum links
- 25 Something stupid but annoying
- 26 Round whatever blah blah blah
See contribs. Might be an IP-hopper.
- Yup. I saw. And yes they are. I've blocked 20 of his IPs over the last 2 days. GMRE (talk) 20:12, 25 March 2021 (UTC)
- I've found another.
Protecting a talk page is not a good idea. We can easily undo any edits, so that shouldn't be a problem. I can undo several edits at a time too. GMRE (talk) 21:01, 25 March 2021 (UTC)
Suggestion to help with the vandal issue
Most likely, that vandal is using VPNs and proxies. He's either using several at once, or is using different servers every time. My suggestion is to block all common VPN providers. IDK if there's a way to block a raw list of multiple IP addresses at once. Here's a list. Maybe you can add a no-VPNs-or-proxies policy on the rules thingie? Anonymous1234abc (talk) 02:04, 26 March 2021 (UTC)
- Just want to mention there's a Developer's Wiki script that can block a raw list of users, see w:c:dev:MassBlock.
Panau traffic flow
Hello there, it's me, SovietFriends91. I have a question about Panau's traffic flow. Why does Panau drive on the right when countries based on it (like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore) drive on the left? Why are there no right-hand-drive cars in the country in-game either despite some cars would be imported from Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, or Malaysia which have mostly right-hand-drive cars and drive on the left? What could have influenced the right-side driving? Other countries could have influenced it like Imperialist Japan took over the island. Japan has driven on the left for quite some time now, so why did Panau still drive on the right? Also, the Spanish drive on the right, the Dutch and Portuguese drive on the right, and the British drive on the left. Take note of this section from the Panau page:
(The Panauan islands were controlled by the Spanish during the Age of Exploration. Although the Dutch, Portuguese, and British were mentioned by Odd Ahlgren in the Panau Mini-Doc, they only controlled smaller islands around Panau, some of which are part of modern Panau. The location is implied to be somewhere in the region of the Malay Peninsula. Many urban centers in the game take certain cues from the visual style of Singapore.)
So, what is the conclusion of Panau having left-hand drive cars and driving on the right? Why does Panau also have no right-hand drive cars despite its proximity to markets like Indonesia, Thailand, and Malaysia, and Singapore which could have had right-hand drive cars imported into the country? I know you are going through a vandalism issue from some other people, so I hope you can get it fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for answering.
- Hi. I don't think the game developers put that much thought into it. The game was made by a european company and was mainly sold on the Europe and north America market, so I don't think the developers ever considered this. I guess the in-universe explanation could be that Panau was driving on the right ever since... at least the first half of the 20th century and they have outlawed the use of left-driving vehicles.
- Similarly, in reality, I have heard that the far east of Russia (around Valadivostok) had a large (and increasing) number of imported left-driving cars. A few years ago their government decided to stop that by changing the relevant laws, because otherwise it would soon have started to make sense to change the local traffic laws to driving on the left, because most cars in the area would have been left-driving. GMRE (talk) 16:43, 26 March 2021 (UTC)
- That's because I have it set as a custom signature. There's a wiki custom coding page somewhere where this can be set. It works for each wiki separately. On some wikis only admins are allowed to have them and on some they let anyone have them. Here each admin has one and so far we haven't stopped anyone from having them, you just have to know how to on your own. GMRE (talk) 09:41, 3 April 2021 (UTC)
- We have 1 more way to accomplish custom signatures. That's how my signature still looks normal when seen in source mode. GMRE (talk) 09:52, 4 April 2021 (UTC)
- It's not a secret, but only admins can edit there at this time. GMRE (talk) 15:44, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
I hate it so much. I keep having to do it over and over and wasted 10 minutes of my life. I expect there's no way to make the JC Wiki not have Recaptcha, since it's probably mandated by Fandom higher-ups. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 08:42, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- You are a well established user, why would the system give you CAPTCHA verification? There's something wrong with MW now, or a new change is implemented. ~ 08:50, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- That IP hopping could be the culprit ~
I'm normally constantly logged in. I find myself logged out like once every 3 months due to some technical reasons. GMRE (talk) 17:30, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- I see... I'll try to stick with the same IP then. Thanks AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 08:24, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
Hello I have a question with Just Cause 4 is about the black hand. The black hand for a loading time in the game says that they have a contract with Oscar Espinosa for decades and that they have been making a lot of money since then because of it and I have a doubt is the black hand owned by spiny? 09:23, 13 April 2021 (UTC) User:Rambo131011.
- From what I understand, the Black Hand started as some type of militia at Solís. Then Oscar must have invested into their training and equipment and expanded that militia into the Military of Solís. So the Black Hand are sort of like the Military of Solís, but at the same time, they are a sort of security company that other countries could hire. Salvador Mendoza and Sebastiano Di Ravello had hired them to help out a little. GMRE (talk) 17:30, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
Help settle this
So ever since this year's April Fools I've been thinking... why not the wiki have one too? We can make a fake article or something (something believable), feature it in Template:Mainpage Box Featured Article and plaster it all over the main page. I mean, some people might think a wiki is too serious for childish pranks, but a) it's all good fun and b) As a boy who couldn't pull an April Fools prank on my grouchy neighbours (including the lady who sings 24/7) due to the pandemics, lockdowns, and quarantines, I kinda wanna prank someone. April 1st only, of course, so next year. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 08:48, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
- If it goes on the main page too, it could be an article for something like a new game being announced. Not JC5, but maybe a JC:M2, along with an announcement that the whole game series will be mobile only from now on and that the trailer for this will be released tomorrow. That would piss people off. GMRE (talk) 09:38, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
- Or even Just Cause: Farming Simulator :D ~ 10:01, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
That's not something that belongs in rules. Other than possibly as an exception in rules. Like how the christmas theme includes pictures of Rico with a red hat and how the still on-going virus has put face masks on the background Rico. Otherwise, it would be against the rule about false information. GMRE (talk) 10:16, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah yeah yeah... an exception... what you said. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 07:49, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
Time to come back
I finally did it.
Completed Just Cause 3 and 4 without dying once.
That is a pretty epic accomplishment, considering the time and effort spent. GMRE (talk) 15:21, 21 April 2021 (UTC)
Busy... but I'll be back
You probably noticed I haven't been on the wiki for a week now. Well it's cause I'm really busy... exams are coming up, and I have to study. I'll be back though... soon. Within the month. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 06:41, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- Makes sense. GMRE (talk) 17:05, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
The meaning of your name
"GMRE", is that an acronym, or just nonsense? ~22:59, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
- It used to mean something at a forum where I was active at many years ago, but that forum eventually got deleted due to inactivity. By now I'm just used to using that, since it's a unique username that won't get pointless numbers at the end. GMRE (talk) 09:40, 1 May 2021 (UTC)
The Wiki with force dark mode looks pretty sweet
Need your help with this one...
The other Anonymous is probably a more valued member of the Wiki than I am, so I'll be the one to leave. May return in the (near?) future. Until then, so long. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 00:21, 22 May 2021 (UTC)
- M'kay. GMRE (talk) 09:15, 22 May 2021 (UTC)
I'm back, because summer is here and school is done for.
I see that the other Anonymous hasn't come back since our little dispute.. I'll try to keep out of his way.
About the Just Cause 5 article
- Don't worry about it. It's on the talk page now and not in the article, so it's solved. GMRE (talk) 15:20, 28 June 2021 (UTC)
Have you tried out the new Fandom Desktop skin yet? Either than a few coding/formatting issues, I honestly think it looks better than Oasis. If you haven't, give it a try and let me know what you think. They will almost certainly make it mandatory in a few months anyhow. Kronostradamus (talk) 16:11, 2 July 2021 (UTC)
- See that's the thing.
- I don't like that no matter what people think of certain features, they still add it regardless of whether people like it or not.
- Personally I don't like it.
- But well, can we do anything about it? Anonymous230385 Any questions? Wanna talk? 16:22, 2 July 2021 (UTC)
- I haven't tried it and since it'll probably become default at some point, I can't be bothered to find out how to change to that. GMRE (talk) 16:25, 2 July 2021 (UTC)
Just for reference, this is how this page looks in FD, you could technically make the wiki just like Oasis by adding custom CSS to Fandomdesktop.css, so it would make the background fully covers the body of the page, which now FD isn't doing that ~ G'day mate 01:41, 3 July 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah, that background would definitely have to be fixed there. And I don't like the way every update keeps hiding the search function ever more. It used to be big and cover like half of the top of every page. Now they want to hide it as a small icon. GMRE (talk) 11:45, 3 July 2021 (UTC)
Personally, I like the visual design, but the interface is incredibly inefficient. Would prefer the old one if possible.
Also, I think the main reason why they mandated Fandom Desktop is so there's a permanent sidebar on the left, linking to a bunch of other Fandom wikis.
- That same sidebar is currently horizontally at the top. That's not new. It's been around for like... 3-5-ish years. GMRE (talk) 09:45, 10 July 2021 (UTC)
As a Just Cause veteran who's played every game, I thought you'd be the best person to ask: what else should I feature on the featured article? I don't want to feature boring towns and temples with this many houses, that many people, this many churches, and that many spawn points, since that's what I get when I go to Special:Random. If you can think of a list of cool stuff throughout the series that we have good articles (Quality level 5 or higher) for and put them somewhere, I'd be much obliged. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 01:05, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
- Try to find obscure characters and locations. See the Category:Unmarked locations in Panau and Category:Unmarked locations in Medici. And you could for example write about Carmona as: "The character with the pointiest nose in the Just Cause Universe." Or like... there's a small abandoned port somewhere in western Insula Striate that has concrete guard towers and therefore looks militarized, but it's abandoned. (If there is no article for it, link to the local administrative unit page.) And then the text could ask how come Di Ravello would abandon one of his bases. GMRE (talk) 18:00, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
- Hmm. Will keep that in mind.
Gunplay mechanics in Just Cause
Thought about creating such an article, because I saw similar ones on the CoD, Battlefield and CounterStrike wikis. We can explain damage, velocity, drop, headshot bonus etc. I know Just Cause isn't a competitive FPS, and doesn't have gameplay mechanics that deserve to be analyzed over and over, but I feel like projectile velocity and drop has to be explained for JC4. For snipers, although the bullet appears to travel almost instantly to the target, you have to lead for moving targets at not so long range. And stuff like that. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 00:51, 1 August 2021 (UTC)
- That sounds like something that could just be a section in the Just Cause 4 General gameplay tips. Unless you want it to cover all games. But even then, it sounds like the type of thing where people would want to add all special weapons and then it would turn into the most epic wall of text. So if made, the non-gun special weapons would have to be excluded from that article.
- Also, the proposed name of "Gunplay mechanics in Just Cause" has some flaws. Adding "in Just Cause" to the end is redundant. Everything at this wiki is about that, so it would only make sense to add that if the article only covers JC1. "Gunplay mechanics" doesn't sound very professional. "Gun ballistics" would be more like it. GMRE (talk) 10:32, 1 August 2021 (UTC)
- I would make an article called "gun ballistics" or "projectile ballistics" or the likes, but it'd probably get instantly deleted because its subjectively "unnecessary", or "doesn't need to exist", or is "irrelevant". So I won't waste my time. Hint hint. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 00:00, 2 August 2021 (UTC)
New fandom logo...
My activity on the wiki might drop drastically in the near future, for a month or two. School's started again, and while the first few days might be fairly easygoing, the homework is gonna come flooding in in no time. So yeah. But I'll try to be on every week or so. AnOnYmOuS1234aBc ('Sup?) 00:56, 21 August 2021 (UTC)
- Makes sense. GMRE (talk) 11:45, 21 August 2021 (UTC)
Entering dark mode on any article changes the title to all CAPS for me.
The only article unaffected by this is PAN MILSAT, which is already in full CAPS.
81 images in 4 days
I've noticed that this wiki used to have the old "Forum" namespace. There's been an issue in some wikis where some of the maintenance special pages (like Special:Wantedpages, etc.) keep showing links to the "Forum" even though they don't exist anymore - have you seen this happen on this wiki?
If you've seen any of this, let me know, as Fandom is fixing that problem for various wikis, and they could probably sort it for this one too. Cheers! ReverieCode 08:19, 31 August 2021 (UTC)
- Hi. There's probably relatively few of those left, but yes that is a problem. I've changed some links to link to the correct "discussions" threads, but I didn't even know that there is any way to track them down by any means other than having to remember what the forum thread name was and then doing an internet search for that title. GMRE (talk) 16:44, 31 August 2021 (UTC)
- I just checked the wanted pages list and there's no forum links on there anymore, so I guess we must have taken those links out, or something. GMRE (talk) 17:31, 31 August 2021 (UTC)
Something stupid but annoying
- There's a bug with file editing now, just wait until FANDOM fixes it. ~ G'day mate 10:15, 2 September 2021 (UTC)
Round whatever blah blah blah
I can't do this not while AEGaming2, 1234abc, and R bgg tc vgggv v are actively subverting my authority by removing content that I added as useful information and that apparently speculation and matters of opinion are apparently invalid
I can't do this
Not while these three are actively removing content that I put in thousands of hours to put in
For s sake
- Bruh I'm a liberal
- And I can say the exact same thing about you, everything I write you just press the big "undo" button and the big "lock" button
- In either case politics is irrelevant to making a database for the games. GMRE (talk) 10:25, 11 September 2021 (UTC)